orange, purple + white – oh my!
carrots come in a variety of colors + while they taste the same, they sure jazz up your dinner table in a flash!
growing up, i was only familiar with the traditional orange carrot.
it’s what bugs bunny carried around.
it was the color seen around the easter holiday aisle at target.
it was the color of the carrots that my mom always stuffed into my lunch bag + i subsequently traded for cookies in my grade school lunchroom.
safe to say, carrots always lived near the bottom of my veggie love list.
but the silly thing about growing up is that your tastebuds growup, too!
there i was one day in my mid-twenties, filled with glee, as i picked up a bag of rainbow carrots to roast up for dinner.
this side dish keeps it simple. just a few root veggies tossed with butter + fresh rosemary. the dish takes just one pan + one oven time. it’s simplicity at its best.
now i don’t know where you stand on the carrot lovers scale – but there’s some serious magic that happens when you roast carrots. their natural sweetness caramelizes + once they’re hot out of the oven, covered in a blanket of browned butter + the piney aroma of rosemary – the resulting flavor dances on your tongue from bite-to-bite.
the rustic approach to this dish makes it perfect to throw together for any occasion + the classic flavors lend well to accompany any main dish!
..like your easter ham! or passover lamb!
maybe you go with both! or choose a tried + true favorite around any holiday table, such as the roasted tenderloin.
whatever you serve it with, i say give the pastels a break this easter! pick up a vibrant bag of rainbow carrots + serve this side dish alongside your family feast!
- 1 lb baby yukon gold potatoes, halved
- 6 rainbow carrots, peeled + halved length-wise
- 10 shallots, peeled + halved
- 6 tablespoons of butter, cut into 1 tablespoon pads
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- cooking spray
- kosher salt + freshly ground pepper, to taste
- preheat your oven to 425°
- spray an oven-safe baking dish with cooking spray.
- combine potatoes, carrots + shallots into the baking dish. sprinkle with rosemary, salt + pepper. toss to coat.
- place butter pads on top of the veggies + roast until vegetables are almost tender -stirring occasionally- about 35 minutes.
- remove from oven + enjoy!
you can find rainbow carrots at nearly every grocery store these days! but if your local store doesn’t have them, check out stores such as whole foods, trader joes + sprouts.
parsnips would make for a great addition, as well! prep them just as you did the carrots.
this time.com article gives so much info on the mighty carrot! here is a snippet from the article about the nutrient breakdown of the different colors:
- Orange: Beta and alpha carotene pigment – this promotes vitamin A production by the body, which is essential for healthy eyes.
- Purple: Anthocyanin, beta and alpha carotene pigment – purple carrots typically have an orange core, and their pigment-related nutrients may provide additional vitamin A and prevent heart disease.
- Yellow: Xanthophykks and lutein – both are linked to cancer prevention and better eye health.
- White: The nutrients don’t come from the pigment but from the fiber, which promotes healthy digestion.